Sunday, June 15, 2008

Playa Negra, Pedro the Pig and The Eleven Cats of Playa Avellana

Alright. This morning I took the bull by the horns, the pig by the ears, the cat by the tail! I showed up at Playa Negra (huge wave) at 6 am. I walked down to the beach and thought I was looking at Pipeline. This place is insane. It's big. But it's so beautiful.....hmmmm. My brain says 'hell no', but my insanity says that a certain surgeon I know would never surf this wave, so...I will. So, there. I can't believe I went out there...it was overhead and a half to double overhead and I am on a 7.2. That wave requires at 6 ft or lower board. Oh well! So I caught 3 monster waves and then woke up. I am STILL jumping up and down...yippee!!!!!!!! Cameron and Adrian will be proud of me.

Then, back to Playa Avellana. I got the scoop on the monster swine. The little restaurant on the beach there is owned by a Dutch couple. It's been there for 18 years. 8 years ago, he decided to get her a piglet for her birthday. Not her birthday dinner, but for a pet. I am not sure they thought ahead, as in, this cute little pig is going to grow into a huge slobbering, snorting beach monster. Pedro was raised with dogs, so of course, he thinks he is a dog too. Which is why he hangs out at the beach. And fetches and plays in the water chewing on coconuts like his doggie cohorts. I am not kidding. He fetches. He weighs at least 800 pounds. Pigs can swim! Who knew!?

Ah yes, and my favorite part-the cats. Apparently 11 cats have shown up over the years and the owner nurses them back to health and keeps them around. They have 8 dogs, 11 cats, a parrot and a pig. The cats are named by the order in which they arrived. I met quatro, dos, and ocho. Lovely felines, but different. I was eating ceviche with tortilla chips when ocho jumped up on the table and started eating my chips. A cat who eats chips! I love him. He also like cevishe, even if it has been soaked in lime juice and onions. What a doll!

And finally, I found the spot at Playa Avellana that I like best-Little Hawaii. It's funny that they call it that, maybe b/c it's a reef break, but it's super fun.

Tomorrow I am going on a bird-watching tour in Monte Verde. I hate to leave the water, but I feel that I should see some of the country.

Pura Vida,

Kelly

2 comments:

Cameron Cooper said...

Awesome!
I am Proud & Jealous of you...Proud & Jealous!
Your daily stories are bringing some sunshine into a foggy & cold San Francisco summer! Keep'em coming!

Cath said...

I second Cameron's comment. It is just so grey and cold here and I love reading your updates. I just pictured an 800 lb. pig frolicking in the surf. I can't wait to see the photos of that.

Miss you mcsurfer girl.

XO Cath